Surviving the grocery store
trip to the supermarket becomes a whole new adventure when you have
your baby in tow. Now that she is getting older and more active, she
may not appreciate sitting still while you browse the aisles. There are
(at least) five things to remember about your child's safety in a
- Try to use an infant seat whenever one is available, or use a front carrier.
- Always use the restraining belt.
- Never allow a child to stand in the basket of the cart.
- Never allow a child to ride outside the cart.
- Most importantly, never leave your child unattended.
your child gets older and especially once she starts walking, it will
become more difficult for her to wait patiently in line. Here are five
things to entertain her while you wait.
- Once she knows colors, ask your baby to find a color.
- Read a short book. Keep one in your purse for shopping trips.
- Name each food item you put in your basket for your baby.
your baby to point to a part of her body when you say it. (This may be
a little advanced for your baby today, but it's a great idea for the
- Sing songs together. You may be a little embarrassed, but usually other people smile and join in.